Throughout the ages, diplomacy has played a decisive role in relations between States, as well as between Entities. Like treaties and agreements, diplomatic gifts are a part and an expression of such relations, with their respective weight in meanings and symbolism.
The relations of D. João V with the Holy See left their mark on the history of Portuguese diplomacy, leading, namely, to the Royal Chapel's elevation to the dignity of Patriarchal Church in 1716 and, in 1748, to Benedict XIV bestowing the title of "Most Faithful" upon the sovereign, thus affirming the diplomatic parity of the Kings of Portugal vis-à-vis the Spanish (Catholic) and the French (Most Christian) monarchs, as well as the Austrian emperors (Apostolic).
Gift from Pope Pius VI to Portugal - Fascie Benedette
Rome, 1795-1798 Silk, silver, gold
Fascie Benedette presented to prince D. António Pio de Bragança (1795-1801), firstborn of future king D. João VI and D. Carlota Joaquina. Bestowed on the prince by Cardinal Bartolomeo Pacca, apostolic nuncio to Portugal, in a ceremony held at Queluz Palace in 1798.
Casket presented to the Crown Prince D. Luís Filipe (1887-1908) in 1907 by Angola's agriculture, commerce and industry representatives, on the occasion of his visit to the Portuguese colonies in Africa, during a tour which lasted around three months.
Gift from Pope Gregory XVI (1765-1846; Pontificate 1831-1846) to queen D. Maria II (1819-1853). Through this Golden Rose, the Pope expressed his wish that the Portuguese kingdom would be a symbol of a prosperous and thriving Catholic religion. It was bestowed with all solemnity and in the presence of the court in the chapel of Necessidades Palace on 24th April 1842.